Gold Rush (New for 2024)

Reminds me a bit of Gerstlauer’s family coasters like Firechaser Express and Pégase Express. Not that it’s a bad thing, part of me worried that we would get a Zamperla or SBF.

I have no doubts the layout will be good, my only worry is that the promo video seems to present this coaster as heavily reliant on theming, which could be a make-or-break situation. Looping have already turned two downtrodden areas into the as-of-now most beautiful parts of the park so I have faith they’ll deliver something special to us.

Whilst it may not be what some people want to see i.e. thrill, it is the first new coaster for 11 years, with G Force being removed a few years ago. I think this is a positive step for the park and is in line with the future vision. I am looking forward to seeing it next year and will save my view for when it is installed. It is a serious investment for the park and the biggest for many years. The changes Looping have made have all been for the better. Looking forward to seeing the new themed area.

Just done a quick check, and the lift and launch coaster was called on the 4th post of this thread, in mid February. Not bad.

Can't wait for this personally. Intamin coasters are generally very solid rides, and can be themed really well. The coaster type offers a lot of scope, and a launch is really marketable. The family nature will mean that it doesn't stick out like apocalypse and to a degree shockwave from the rest of the park, but Intamin are capable of still delivering forceful and interesting elements in that constraint. I am coming round to the goldmine/ wild west area as a theme, as this coaster could be very easily turned into a mine train. Perhaps having the launch be triggered by a dynamite explosion? Also, do we perhaps dare wonder at the possibilities of switch tracks and reverse elements, as this seems to be Intamin's current jam? Might be a bit too small a site to pull of something worth doing with that though. I hope they make use of the levels of terrain that they have there.

The biggest problem is that this coaster has a lot of hype surrounding it as the MD said it will be an excellent replacement for Pandemonium and Apocalypse which the 9/10+ age group enjoyed. Looking at this coaster as there’s no inversions it’s more than likely for the 1.2m age/height group. Which also means still only Maelstrom and Shockwave they can enjoy after they hit the 1.2m mark.
It will also mean the 1st multiple train coaster that’s getting installed at the park in nearly 30 years when Klondike was installed in 1995.

I was at one point thinking about doing some videos of the park and an accompanying blog. Rather than be focussed to the coaster crowd this would be more around how to get the most out of a trip as a family. I'd worked out a kind of format for the written bits which included - if you liked this and wanted a step up you should look at .......

This was because you can clearly see the linkages between some rides and the kind of experience they provide. Which if you are trying to gauge the reaction of your 4, 10 or 14 year old may be useful.

So if you loved James and the red balloon you may want to think about the drunken barrells. If you like Bullstrode you may want to think about Thor. If you liked the submarine splash you may want to look at the rapids, you get the idea. Barrells is James+. Thor is Bullstrode+++. Stormforce 10 is Submarine+++++ and Apocolypse was Cranky++++++

Anyhoo you also notice the rides concerned are geographically spaced within the park. Admittedly this is because the genuinely junior rides are all based in Thomasland, but its not always the case (Dutchman / Waveswinger).

This new ride, if it is as suggested will be fun, I will be going on it lots. But in the aspects of this post it just seems a little bit odd to have what looks like Buffalo+ or Buffalo++ right next to Buffalo.

Just as I occasionally wonder from the point of view of a range of ride experiences just why there is the need for Dutchman (heritage issues aside) when there is the wave swinger, I will be wondering whether this is the beginning of the end for Buffalo / YoMomma.

In the area by the hotel that’s been fenced off they looked like they had a delivery which looks likes supports for a building.
Also they painted the gate now to the site
04A9B3D1-F20D-4272-ACF5-2D141B0F1F72.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

I don’t know how reliable this is but it was on Theme Park Worldwide’s latest vlog from Drayton Manor.

I’d be very surprised if it’s not a Wild West themed area. With the park going back to themed areas , it would be extremely difficult to create a new themed area and retain both the drunken barrels and sheriff show down. It’s the only viable option that makes sense. Drayton have pretty much hinted at this with the wording on the fence. The only ride that would possibly not fit in would be the haunting. Accelerator could easily be rethemed providing funds and plans accounted for this. I think they haunting could be rethemed depending on how far they wanted to extend the area however it would need a complete reimagining but a haunted saloon mad house would be an awesome experience. However Drayton can be very unpredictable so they may completely surprise us all.

I’d be very surprised if it’s not a Wild West themed area. With the park going back to themed areas , it would be extremely difficult to create a new themed area and retain both the drunken barrels and sheriff show down. It’s the only viable option that makes sense. Drayton have pretty much hinted at this with the wording on the fence. The only ride that would possibly not fit in would be the haunting. Accelerator could easily be rethemed providing funds and plans accounted for this. I think they haunting could be rethemed depending on how far they wanted to extend the area however it would need a complete reimagining but a haunted saloon mad house would be an awesome experience. However Drayton can be very unpredictable so they may completely surprise us all.

They could retheme Accelerator but it would probably need an entirely new colour scheme, can’t really think of anything in the Wild West that associates with lime green. That plus the interior will need to be revamped, the name may need to be changed too alongside some new trains to accompany the theme.

Something like a theme to a train on a broken railroad could work well or a wagon that’s broken off whilst being lifted up a hill and rolling back down. Like you said, anything’s on the table.

Obviously we don't know anything and all of this is speculation. Personally I'd be surprised if Accelerator gets rethemed , especially as we expect the new theme to be Wild West. I think they'll keep Accelerator separate to the new themed area & it will stay as a stand alone attraction. They are using the area as the hub for all of this years events & hopefully these events are here to stay. They may further develop the area & give it a bigger stage & better lighting. A live DJ/Dance show/Live Music stage wouldn't fit into a wild west themed area.

They could retheme Accelerator but it would probably need an entirely new colour scheme, can’t really think of anything in the Wild West that associates with lime green.
Snake oil salesman getaway!

Accelerator has so much potential in its queue area for theming opportunities. Especially sponsored ones...wonder whether if there is something lines up that ties in with an agreement for longterm provision of soft drinks etc.

I'd love there to be a root beer option on the drinks!

Obviously we don't know anything and all of this is speculation. Personally I'd be surprised if Accelerator gets rethemed , especially as we expect the new theme to be Wild West.
That’s what I’m trying to show. I’d be absolutely struck if Accelerator got a retheme but for this approach to work effectively you have to factor in the repaint, queue theming, train design, name change and marketing, etc.

All of this on top of a brand new roller coaster, unless they have a stupid amount of funding it’s highly unlikely to happen, especially in the same year of opening. I’d love to be proven wrong but we’ve got other things to figure out first.

Back