Pirate Adventure

It works just fine, and has done over long periods of time. In fact I was recommended to use this particular compressor by a former Golding leisure employee, who had specced most of the Pirate Adventure animatronics, during the rides construction. Like I said, you wouldn't need an industrial grade compressor for those 3 in particular. The electrical power required to operate a compressor and solenoids for all of them is so low it could be done through your house mains. While they were of a very high design standard, they were only a small set of additions, added to jazz up the queue line.
I'd not doubt it works fine for 1 animation at home running now and then (like I also have), that's completely different to a ride application with lots animations running constantly all day every day. If someone added that home garage compressor in a ride I maintained just for a couple extra animations, it would be chucked out in a year and plumbed into the main system. I imagine the industrial compressor to run all those animations was huge!
I'm talking about the pressure provided to pipes that lead out from the animatronic, which , using push in connectors & relief valves, we have piped up to our own solenoids/manifolds & air compressors.
No matter what pressure is applied in to the animatronic through the piping , above a certain level of pressure, the motion is always capped at the same speed. But as observed, what happens when more pressure is applied is that the movements become less delayed, and start to move more constantly.
That sounds like a telltale sign of old worn out cylinders if there is a delay in the cylinders movement after the solenoid opens. I would expect them to be after this time. Either that or you don't have enough pressure to start with and need to increase it in the tank and add regulators at the cylinder end.

the issue with pirate adventure's pneumatics was primarily the piping network not being maintained, and leaking out too much air due to corrosion.
Replacing some hosing and airlines would've been dead easy. From speaking to the original animations designer, he was asked to come back and quote to restore all the animations before the ride eventually shut down, they were in a bad state (as you would expect after 25 years) and would have cost a large amount to restore. I forget the exact ££ he mentioned.

Reactions: Haz
I'd not doubt it works fine for 1 animation at home running now and then (like I also have), that's completely different to a ride application with lots animations running constantly all day every day. If someone added that home garage compressor in a ride I maintained just for a couple extra animations, it would be chucked out in a year and plumbed into the main system. I imagine the industrial compressor to run all those animations was huge!
Not really. Even with a small compressor (not even “that” one, but a small easily installable non portable one, maybe with a slightly higher CFM displacement), if it’s drained and powered down daily, with its air vents cleared, it would last well beyond a year being in use during the rides operational hours. And it would be cheap to replace too. There is no way that any of those Farmer studios animtronics would be stretching the use of that kind of compressor to the point where it is damaged; there would still be enough constant air intake without a risk of the motor overheating. The movements were slow and intermittent on the ride too.
I will take some readings at some point to see how much CFM & PSI/Bars are involved in necessary movements.

It’s worth saying that the sailor was broken for years before the rides actual closure. Having such a long pipe network all the way to the large compressor (the main compressor for the ride was over 2 metres tall btw) makes me wonder whether this was half the problem for maintenance. Going through that entire network to check for leaks in hard to reach spots or replace valves would have taken a number of labour hours for maintenance to go through.

Farmer studios built the effects with the expectation that the park would invest more in to maintaining it. Unfortunately that did not happen over the rides lifespan.
Replacing some hosing and airlines would've been dead easy.
If only maintaining Pirate Adventure's piping really was 'dead easy'. Take a look below here at some of the piping networks for the battle scene, and tell me that looks easy to work with....

1718205086278.png

I’m fact it’s one of the key reasons so many of the effects ended up getting turned off. The pipes network were built in to and in between the sets, with larger pipes delivering air from the compressor to each scene, which then split up in to smaller pipes for the individual effects within the scene. It's quite clever how they were originally set up, but easy to mess up if tampered with.

Originally, when Pirate Adventure was maintained by Golding Leisure Design (and Space leisure) , they ensured that the pipes for individual effects and for scenes were as simple as possible to identify, even down to the pipes for both sides of the double acting cylinders being grouped with separate markings. this wasn’t the case later on as you can see in the picture above; they had been messed around with... a lot.

As I said previously, the pipes corroded, mainly due to the moisture (bear in mind the water contained a bromine solution) in the building. When the parks then maintenance team could not easily find a leakage, they turned the effects off instead of searching through piping to find the exact points of leakage. And in cases where there were problems with scenes, entire scenes would be turned off. Which is what happened with the tavern scene and parts of the burning town scene towards the end of the rides life. The cylinders were actually much easier and quicker to work with.

That sounds like a telltale sign of old worn out cylinders if there is a delay in the cylinders movement after the solenoid opens. I would expect them to be after this time. Either that or you don't have enough pressure to start with and need to increase it in the tank and add regulators at the cylinder end.
I don't believe this is the case. The cylinders were in good working order, and had been oiled, cleaned and serviced, with all the old manifolds and external valves replaced as well.

I forget the exact ££ he mentioned.
I would personally advise that it stays forgotten, It's not really necessary to discuss such things, or any kind of numbers

Not really. Even with a small compressor (not even “that” one, but a small easily installable non portable one, maybe with a slightly higher CFM displacement), if it’s drained and powered down daily, with its air vents cleared, it would last well beyond a year being in use during the rides operational hours. And it would be cheap to replace too. There is no way that any of those Farmer studios animtronics would be stretching the use of that kind of compressor to the point where it is damaged; there would still be enough constant air intake without a risk of the motor overheating. The movements were slow and intermittent on the ride too.
I will take some readings at some point to see how much CFM & PSI/Bars are involved in necessary movements.

It’s worth saying that the sailor was broken for years before the rides actual closure. Having such a long pipe network all the way to the large compressor (the main compressor for the ride was over 2 metres tall btw) makes me wonder whether this was half the problem for maintenance. Going through that entire network to check for leaks in hard to reach spots or replace valves would have taken a number of labour hours for maintenance to go through.

Farmer studios built the effects with the expectation that the park would invest more in to maintaining it. Unfortunately that did not happen over the rides lifespan.

If only maintaining Pirate Adventure's piping really was 'dead easy'. Take a look below here at some of the piping networks for the battle scene, and tell me that looks easy to work with....

View attachment 6276
I’m fact it’s one of the key reasons so many of the effects ended up getting turned off. The pipes network were built in to and in between the sets, with larger pipes delivering air from the compressor to each scene, which then split up in to smaller pipes for the individual effects within the scene. It's quite clever how they were originally set up, but easy to mess up if tampered with.

Originally, when Pirate Adventure was maintained by Golding Leisure Design (and Space leisure) , they ensured that the pipes for individual effects and for scenes were as simple as possible to identify, even down to the pipes for both sides of the double acting cylinders being grouped with separate markings. this wasn’t the case later on as you can see in the picture above; they had been messed around with... a lot.

As I said previously, the pipes corroded, mainly due to the moisture (bear in mind the water contained a bromine solution) in the building. When the parks then maintenance team could not easily find a leakage, they turned the effects off instead of searching through piping to find the exact points of leakage. And in cases where there were problems with scenes, entire scenes would be turned off. Which is what happened with the tavern scene and parts of the burning town scene towards the end of the rides life. The cylinders were actually much easier and quicker to work with.

I don't believe this is the case. The cylinders were in good working order, and had been oiled, cleaned and serviced, with all the old manifolds and external valves replaced as well.

I would personally advise that it stays forgotten, It's not really necessary to discuss such things, or any kind of numbers
Do you have more internal shots like the one above?

Reactions: Kam

View attachment 6276

In an ideal world a compressor would be turned off and drained each night making it last years. We don't live in that world however, so you need to make accommodations for it. Operational staff used to routinely urinte into the rides water due to not being able to leave their positions at the top station or exist station, so no chance could they be trusted to empty a compressor and whatnot.

Interesting photo of the pipes but they have clearly been ripped out from their original application. That picture doesn't show how easy or hard it was to maintain the pipes as that's just a pile of scrap pipe not in its original setup. Slightly confused at how you base your argument on that photo.

The pipes never used to corrode to bad as they were mainly plastic based, as this made it easy to route everywhere. The leaks used to mainly come from rodents biting the pipes and the connections for the pipes. The piping was mainly easy to reach throughout the ride, easy to fix leaks as you could very quickly and easily hear the hissing sounds. The trouble was the park didn't provide the time and recourses needed to care for this system properly, which led to it declining.

I've spent ALOT of hours behind the scenes in that ride, I've done all nighters in there and had my hands on most things in there. I can tell you as a fact, almost all of the cylinders in the ride were in a really, really bad state, they very very rarely got any TLC as the Bryan's put maintence focuse else where.

The delay that you mention sounds like a worn out cylinder as Euro Theme Park Archive mentions. Infact. I've probably had my hands on that very cylinder at some point in the past. I could be wrong but I dont recally any delayed cylinders like you mention. By the time the ride closed the majority of all mechanical cylinders and animations were in a really bad stage.

The compressor room was indeed big. Located at the back of the battle scene.

Also, why can't figures and numbers be discussed? There seems to be this wierd arora around Pirate Adventure where a few select people who have got photos, audio or whatever, seem believe they are in a superior position and act in some wierd way. Something I've noticed over the last few years, quite frankly it is laughable. No one in particular, just worth pointing out though. Sit down and calm down, the ride has been shut nearly a decade....

I remember one of the winters, can't remember the year, we spent a lot of time in Pirate Adventure, installing a new sound system throughout, with new amplifiers and zoning, in tandem with the contractors. We spent practically zero amount of that time looking at anything mechanical apart from the Mack ride system which was essential to get ADIPS certification allowing the ride to open to the public. Anything else such as animation, pneumatics and set presentation was ignored fully as it had been for many years.

We used to fire the compressor up and you could just walk around the ride finding the hissing sounds and fix accordingly, fairly easy to do. Easier when there was no water in the ride, but more than doable with the many backstage walk ways.

As someone who has maintained the ride however, the biggest cause of broken effects was without a doubt lack of maintenance to the animations themselves rather than the airlines. I would have loved to spend time giving the ride some TLC but I have to do as I am told and work where I am needed. The animations in that ride almost needed a full time compliment of maintenance staff to be fair, it did not have this, just staff who also had to work on the rest of the parks attractions. Which led to it's demise.

The other problem we used to get quite a bit was people jumping off boats and physically damaging sets and people throwing liquids and food onto the sets, which could sometimes cause problems if it happened in the middle of the day and wouldn't be picked up until much later. In some cases, days.

The one year, I had to fix one of the cannons on the castle. It had come off it's stand as was dangling down the castle by its airline.

Good times, good memories.

Last edited:
Interesting photo of the pipes but they have clearly been ripped out from their original application. That picture doesn't show how easy or hard it was to maintain the pipes as that's just a pile of scrap pipe not in its original setup.
Ah, but they were like this before being ripped out, which is why the picture shown above was taken, to demonstrate how entangled the piping within scenes was, from the main pipes right down to the inlet pipes for individual effects. As I said, dealing with the pipe damages was found to be too long, and it was the key reason that entire scenes were switched off, towards the end of the rides life. It is possible that you worked on the ride before this was an issue, maybe?
A pipe hissing is probably a more extreme and obvious example. Most of the time the issue involved cumulative leaks along multiple areas from both the main pipes, and from pipes leading to individual scenes. This got worse over time. the factors you have highlighted play a role too , I’m sure, but corrosion was an issue.

Unfamiliar with the sound system upgrade that you did. What I do know is that one of the last major reworks the ride had was a new AV package in about 2009. Was this the upgrade you are talking about?

The delay that you mention sounds like a worn out cylinder as Euro Theme Park Archive mentions. Infact. I've probably had my hands on that very cylinder at some point in the past. I could be wrong but I dont recally any delayed cylinders like you mention. By the time the ride closed the majority of all mechanical cylinders and animations were in a really bad stage.
I have tried to find a way, but am unable to put videos on here, so I can only screenshot the 8 movement animatronic (this one courtesy of Dan who has done an excellent job of programming and restoring it ) at different points of the motion. None of these cylinders have been replaced.

1718331288997.png
IMG_7478.jpeg

No issue with the cylinders on this whatsoever, in terms of delivering movement in this example.

I believe this animatronic was one of those switched off towards the end of the rides lifespan due to the leak issue. Which would demonstrate the point perfectly

On the pneumatic movements, and this peculiar delay situation: What I do know is that Golding Leisure Design built small sets of relief valves between solenoids and cylinders to further reduce/control the level of pressure reached at the inlet for the cylinder, which I believe are spring driven, and open and close quite quickly. Some of the inlet pipes also split up in to two pipes that lead to separate cylinders using 3 way push in connectors . This makes sense as you wouldn't , for instance, want the womans head to move upwards without the chest case also rising beforehand; and relying on a solenoid to control for both movements would be more likely to lead to parts getting damaged if misconfigured. This combined with the use of the relief valves (and however tightly they are screwed), may possibly explain why there are delays.

Also, why can't figures and numbers be discussed? There seems to be this wierd arora around Pirate Adventure where a few select people who have got photos, audio or whatever, seem believe they are in a superior position and act in some wierd way. Something I've noticed over the last few years, quite frankly it is laughable. No one in particular, just worth pointing out though.
It mainly is because of NDAs, and privacy. I personally would not want people's livelihoods to be put at stake, including members of staff, contractors, and former staff. Financial details have been posted on to internet forums about things at Drayton Manor which have already got people in to serious trouble. I do not know what Euro theme park archive has been told, or not told. I can only assume, but there may be sensitive details involved. It is best that they do not share details about private financial dealings between individuals, or why deals did/did not go through.

I do understand your point. But this is not the case, here. As you can see above, many people find these things interesting if anything. I hope that it has been at least somewhat informative for people who were not previously aware of these things.
Also though Kam great to see you are restoring animations. Really great.

Would love to see some photos from inside if you have any.
Cheers, Dan. I enjoy our back and forths on Drayton

Once I have got work stuff out of the way I will try to provide full updates. The plan currently is to build an 18th century style set piece/scene around the animatronics. Ideally I want to do this using hand made props, without the use of any CNC machine or 3D printer.

I have managed to get some of them bundled together here, ready for the scene
IMG_7479.jpeg
IMG_7357.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't reply fully..at the moment I'll do so later. This looks awesome.

The audio system upgrade I was part of was when I was an apprentice engineer. I was very young then. You could do it back then and substitute school time for gaining qualifications. Then I went to finish my GCSE and went back to the park full time. I don't recall any AV upgrade in 2009. It may have happened but I don't rememeber it.

The year was 2004 to be exact, after searching searching and searching I've found evidence of it online.

Not really.
Kam, I'm trying to impart some interesting advice as a professional AV tech who has worked with pneumatics regularly in theme park attractions and dark rides, because you seemed to be very interested. But you seem to just want to tell me I am wrong from basic tidbits you've learned without context or professional experience and not listen to my points, so I may as well give up and ignore the rest your post! Sorry!

Kam, I'm trying to impart some interesting advice as a professional AV tech who has worked with pneumatics regularly in theme park attractions and dark rides, because you seemed to be very interested. But you seem to just want to tell me I am wrong from basic tidbits you've learned without context or professional experience and not listen to my points, so I may as well give up and ignore the rest your post! Sorry!
Respectfully, this is a theme park internet forum, not LinkedIn. I am not sure how we have got to the stage where we are talking about professional experience or who is more qualified , we are all theme park geeks on here discussing stuff we are interested in, and providing cool background info (so long as it doesn’t jeopardise anyone) where possible, and having intelligent arguments and debates . What our credentials are is hardly relevant to the discussion.

I could not care less whether you are an AV technician or not, in the context of this discussion, what I care about is the facts and the reasoning behind them. If you want to ignore my post, that is fine. Or you could counter my points and prove me wrong and hold my feet to the fire, like others do to each other on this forum and on this thread.

I feel that is a pretty immature response, to ignore me. I expected better.

Last edited:
Bit harsh

Wouldn’t it be I tetsting uf we could find out the history of the pirate adventure. From idea, planing, designing, construction, to opening, operating, then eventual demise and closure. I bet the Bryan family would have some stories to tell. I bet a lot of blood sweat and tears went into creating it. Tears was autocorrected into ‘teas’ I bet a lot of them were drunk too!

Well really the pirate adventure was the 1st ride they installed that took them from been an amusement park to a theme park.
The Bryan’s went to Disney and they knew they had to install rides that wasn’t available to ride anywhere else in the uk.
I was lucky to have rode it many times in 1990 and this, Jungle Cruise and Jungle Palladium blew me away and I never went to Disney to 1993.

I honestly don’t think it’s going to return but I’d imagine it has been gutted ready for a blank canvas for something else depending on the condition of the rest of the building. It’s just a big mystery but I do feel like once frontier falls is open, the middle section of the park will be addressed to finalise the theming of each area. This I would imagine is still many years away.

I imagine the work being done now is possibly result of attempts to protect the buildings in preparation for an assessment to see if they could introduce a new attraction in the future. It may be a result of a mass clearance now that the Gold Rush area is finishing. The 5 year plan suggests that there are no intentions as next year will be the relocation of a ride (assumed to be flying dutchman) and a new flat ride in its place, install lodges in 2026, so the earliest possible date will be 2027, although I personally think they may do some sprucing up on the area and plan on a major attraction possibly for its 80th anniversary in 2030, hopefully this could be a re-imagined pirate attraction or a new replacement ride for it.

The roof has been worked on over the past 2 years so as long as it’s water tight there shouldn’t be a problem.
I think they could remove everything and start from scratch with another pirate themed ride which uses sets and screens. Simworx’s who installed the 4D cinema have installed a few of theses rides
Now imagine that with pirates

Back