Pirate Adventure

Themeparksandy1981 you never knew Pirate Adventure may become part of Frontier Falls.
Frontier Falls is contained by the area it is in. It won't expand down the park that far. As far as FF goes, it's pretty much finished as an "area" with remaining work to finish theming / rethemes of existing items in the area. (Including a sign to welcome you to the area/street)

The pirate section of the park will remain its own area either in the existing or a new theme when the time comes in a few years time (I'm saying 2026 as the earliest possible)

Last edited:
I can foresee Pirate Adventure being relaunched as a Ride themed to the Wild West. The Ride system could remain the same,but rather than scenes of Pirates you could have Cowboys and Wild West Scenes. This would tie the Ride in with Frontier Falls.

I can foresee Pirate Adventure being relaunched as a Ride themed to the Wild West. The Ride system could remain the same,but rather than scenes of Pirates you could have Cowboys and Wild West Scenes. This would tie the Ride in with Frontier Falls.
Ok so let’s say they do extend the Wild West theme and pirate adventure was themed to cowboys how would you also fit in the arcades, Restaurant, Fun foods, Castle of dreams, Dodgems, Jolly Buccaneer and the Bounty?

Ok here's a left field idea.

Everyone is thinking about Frontier Falls and an expansion because its the latest development but...
What if Vikings was the expanded area instead? You wouldn't have to move Flying Dutchman, Jolly buccanneer and Bounty could possibly be rethemed quite easily too.

If you also whack up a load of conifers for theming then these can easily be absorbed into any Christmas event.

If you turn Pirates adventure building into something similar to the Jorvik type ride then you can quite easily take school trips in over the closed period as an educational experience alongside the zoo. Heck even the zoo could become themed...(wolves, lynx, reindeer in the viking area . coyote, prairie dogs, snakes in the Frontier Falls). Long boat replica on the lake perhaps.

Accelerator you could them turn properly into a time travel ride. Enclose the exit area and have a load of dry ice smoke as you come out a load of buzzy van der graff generators and plasma balls when you go in.

My usual 10% bottom line fee applies...

Unlikely that Frontier Falls or Vikings would expand in that direction as they have signs / defined area entrances :)

All very cool ideas though and I do prefer these themes more to Adventure Cove and Thomas Land.

Some interesting thoughts and news of trains leaving park. Also gives DT a big shout out as a lot speculation comes from DT. Hopefully will be a reimagination with 10 years SBNO coming up. Perhaps move away from pirates as a fantasy theme as Themeparksandy1981 suggested elsewhere. Would be a shame if it was demolished but rules on water rides requiring clean water now where as maybe updated ride would get round those rules. I'm no expert but new fantasy area with pirates and princesses in fantasy area could work well

Some interesting thoughts and news of trains leaving park. Also gives DT a big shout out as a lot speculation comes from DT. Hopefully will be a reimagination with 10 years SBNO coming up. Perhaps move away from pirates as a fantasy theme as Themeparksandy1981 suggested elsewhere. Would be a shame if it was demolished but rules on water rides requiring clean water now where as maybe updated ride would get round those rules. I'm no expert but new fantasy area with pirates and princesses in fantasy area could work well
Really good video nice to mention Drayton talk.Some really good ideas and lots of good effort and evidence being put in and explained.

Last edited:

A lovely shoutout from Sean there (thanks Sean! Really appreciate that :) )

He has a lot of great points in the video and a bit more of a look into things mentioned here.

I do think it will be the next "key" area of investments but we would need to wait a bit for the return on investment from this years work before they consider the next "Major" movements.

I do like the fantasy idea. Give me a fantasy forest themed dark ride anyday. Love a bit of magic and mystery.

Can't escape from the new ideas for the ride

Attachments

• 20240815_133619.jpg
    20240815_133619.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 67
The problem with attempting to bring the ride system back in a new form (from a marketing POV) is that the Pirate Adventure is so embedded in to people's memories,imo, that for any replacement to be worth its value in money to the park, it would ideally have to stand at least closely to the original in terms of quality, to be an effective marketing pull for the park. Otherwise I suspect it would forever be known as "the not so good replacement of pirate adventure". People still (bear in mind that it has been almost 10 years since Pirate Adventure has closed) bring up the "pirate ride at Drayton manor" and how good they think it was on social media, or when speaking to staff who work at the park. If a replacement dark ride of that size/scale didn't live up to expectations, I actually think it would possibly even put people off going to Drayton.
When we talk about using that space, we are essentially talking about a large signature ride. A ride that used to be on the parks logo in fact. And signature rides are often a lot like 'strong magnets' ( best analogy I can think of) for guests, in that they have the power of either attracting or repelling visitors to the wider park, depending on how good they are perceived as. People often judge a park based off of how good the signature rides are. One of the reasons why it was wise of Drayton to be very quiet about the ride's closure in the mid 2010s. And a reason for them to now be cautious about doing stuff with the space.

The optimism some people have about the ride returning is great, but we have to ground things in reality . It's extraordinarily expensive to operate a dark ride of that size. Let alone design and fabricate theming for it from scratch, or develop new lighting/sound/show control systems for everything inside it. And given the current state of the building, It's easy to imagine the planning costs and surveying costs for doing work inside the building being a huge issue for the park. I just can't see Looping wanting to build a ride of that scale, even if they can fix up the existing ride system.

To put it in to context; in the early 90s, the dark ride market was far more lucrative for theme parks. Hand built prop making was more cost effective in labour terms back then than it is nowadays, and it was easier to assemble large teams of ride designers (and for a ride like this, you would need a large group of people in a number of different disciplines). Raw materials costs were lower then too, and dark rides like Pirate Adventure are extremely dependent on these kinds of things. It's one of the reasons why opting for coasters is often a safer bet for parks nowadays. You don't need as much in the way of theming or effects built/maintained, and the risk to reward ratio is lower. The ghost train at thorpe park is a good demonstration of the risks of building a dark ride that doesn't pay off (and ends up being a huge cash sink for the park). It's why I can see why Gold Rush has been chosen (over adding a dark ride) in the former Apocalypse area. Coasters can rely on quick thrills, whereas dark rides have to be done extremely well for them to work effectively.

Think I may have said it before, but the best thing for Pirate Adventure is to let it sit there as a kind of 'shrine', and a reminder of the rides former glory, for all of the above reasons. Unless something can be built which lives up to the original Pirate Adventure, leave it as it is.

Last edited:
I hear what you’re saying but it’s a big building that can be seen from every area of the park. Nearly every social media post gets at least 1 comment about bringing the ride back. They been repairing the roof over the past year and now with the storm damage they started the process of repairing the outer walls. The boats have been sent to be repaired.

I think it's possible to bring back the ride but like Kam said it would have to be done incredibly well and live up to standards. I do believe with the Looping Group in charge they could certainly make it happen, but it's just if the park actually want to do it. Sure - it would stop people nagging on social media but if just stopping a few comments could potentially put people off coming to the park then I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Back