The Haunting

More of the Ivy been removed
View attachment 6430
Wish they fixed this
View attachment 6431
I visited the park today and the remaining Ivy from your photo has been removed — looks much fresher and looked after.

The Door Effect in the queue line has also been repaired, and the smoke was running in the queue line!

It seems that the park definitely have their eye on The Haunting at the moment.

The wood above the trailer has got a lot worse.

Attachments

• IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
IMG_20240728_131626.jpg
lights now working in queue as well as the smoke working in Ripa hut with smell pods that are the same as the ones on Gold rush won't let me post but cellar door now is back working but birds have broken and there started repairs on the walls and removed all of the ivy

Attachments

• IMG_20240727_124319.jpg
    IMG_20240727_124319.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20240727_124247.jpg
    IMG_20240727_124247.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 51
Birds were back working today but a nasty hissing noise was emmitted when they werent moving. Several speakers in the library were palying up and the oil lamps in the Chapel stayed on for the whole ride, totally ruining the UV effects and the coffin at the end.

it seems as though the oil lamps have been programmed into the sequence as it was like that on gold rush opening too but i wasn't sure if it was a glitch or not, if the brightness would be turned down it would work well with the uv i think.

Well they usedd to flicker a bit at teh start of the cycle, and then turn off until the ride ended which was good because the UV lamps could then be used to full effect adn you had a couple of moments in pitch black as well, but the new lighting just really takes all the fear out of it and makes it a bit tame.

I think a combination would be great. Having the standard lights on at the beginning, then it flickers to the UV as the music reaches its climax, and when the coffin opens, the can use the strobe to give the effect of the plasma wave by the IMR team. I personally find those UVs they currently use do ruin the illusion of spinning as the original UV tubes were actually in the theming, hidden behind the beams in the Chapel, now it seems like they're under the seats, which does make the spinning look less convincing and less dizzy personally.

Reactions: Haz
I've noticed the ghost projectors in the library & chapel haven't been around for a while.... I think they can do without in the chapel, but they are kinda needed in the library as without them there theres a bit of "dead time" where nothing really happens.

Also, The Haunting got a mention in the latest Frontier Falls promotions (Love to see the park mentioning The Haunting outside of halloween)

I really do think they need to think what to do with the haunting as it don’t fit the western theme but with the story your stepping back into time to the late 1700’s makes no sense with the pre show video.
Now with the Wild Bills Hotel and Saloon they could could use the cafe as the Saloon and the Haunting rethemed as a Hotel you still go thought the gate and the garden but the trailer had its cab removed and the trailer been themed as a reception building. Inside the area where the staff sit down has been turned into a reception deck and your still asked to watch the screens for checking in information. Will Bill welcomes you to his hotel and he hopes to enjoy your stay and the staff are bell boys and take us to our rooms.
As we walk into the next corridor we hear a laugh and a warning get out before it’s too late. Then the Skeletons come down but there wearing cowboy clothes.
You enter the next room which is a bar area and the painting is now a outlaw and he warns us that we shouldn’t have come and shows us what happened to the last guests who checked in and there’s a piano playing itself then he said there’s no escape and laughs.
The Bellboy this is to dangerous I better get you to the dinning room as you all be safe in there.
The mad house has been totally stripped and themed to look like a dinning room with a big table in the middle and the outer walls having plates, Guns and pictures Etc.
The bellboy says you will be safe in here I will try to get the sheriff.
It goes dark and the pictures of bandits come to life and they say see u in hell and laugh. Then the room starts turning and projectors of the bandits projected onto the walls. The ending the lights turn off with just the bandits flying around and the air blasts from the vampire days go off to feel like gun shots and the lights come on and the doors open with a sheriff voice saying get to the saloon now you will be safe in there.
That’s a rough idea I’m sure we all can add or remove bits.

I really do think they need to think what to do with the haunting as it don’t fit the western theme but with the story your stepping back into time to the late 1700’s makes no sense with the pre show video.
Now with the Wild Bills Hotel and Saloon they could could use the cafe as the Saloon and the Haunting rethemed as a Hotel you still go thought the gate and the garden but the trailer had its cab removed and the trailer been themed as a reception building. Inside the area where the staff sit down has been turned into a reception deck and your still asked to watch the screens for checking in information. Will Bill welcomes you to his hotel and he hopes to enjoy your stay and the staff are bell boys and take us to our rooms.
As we walk into the next corridor we hear a laugh and a warning get out before it’s too late. Then the Skeletons come down but there wearing cowboy clothes.
You enter the next room which is a bar area and the painting is now a outlaw and he warns us that we shouldn’t have come and shows us what happened to the last guests who checked in and there’s a piano playing itself then he said there’s no escape and laughs.
The Bellboy this is to dangerous I better get you to the dinning room as you all be safe in there.
The mad house has been totally stripped and themed to look like a dinning room with a big table in the middle and the outer walls having plates, Guns and pictures Etc.
The bellboy says you will be safe in here I will try to get the sheriff.
It goes dark and the pictures of bandits come to life and they say see u in hell and laugh. Then the room starts turning and projectors of the bandits projected onto the walls. The ending the lights turn off with just the bandits flying around and the air blasts from the vampire days go off to feel like gun shots and the lights come on and the doors open with a sheriff voice saying get to the saloon now you will be safe in there.
That’s a rough idea I’m sure we all can add or remove bits.
austin-powers.gif

The current version seems really popular among guests. If the general Public love it, why bother changing it? Every time I've been on this year, other guests just seem really engaged with the (now returned) original story and are enjoying it a lot more!

A Western Change for it seems very unnecessary for me personally. Why change an already great product with seemingly better reception than it hasn't received for a really long time? We have a Castle themed to Christmas right in the middle of a Pirate Themed Area, I don't see why The Haunting couldn't be another exception, especially for a ride nearly 30, which is really impressive.

Every park has their ride where some rode it when they were young and when they're parents they'd want to take their kids on it. As of now, it seems like outside of The Haunting, Drayton Manor really lacks the rides in that department.

Out of everything, I think it shows that guests aren't that concerned about themes not being coherent in a themed area. Remember air? That was never themed to Forbidden Valley, yes was beloved by the general public.

It personally also shows how well the original story with Doctor X has aged compared to Dr Ghostman, and after seeing the video in Gold rushes queue, can they really top the high production, heavily stylised and cinematic original video?

I think instead of wanting a unnecessary retheme, we should be wanting more Restoration and Improvements to the ride as it currently stands. It's a brilliant product the original 1996 assets, and I really doubt Drayton could top it nowadays. Those are just my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:
Something needs doing to the ride though. The portrait in the library means some important story features from the reverend are missing, and seeing as the animatronic was used as a queline prop one halloween I doubt it is in working condition. I love the storyline, but personally I would rather they stripped it back to give a complete and consistent story from brand new. The original concept was wonderful, but the ride now feels like a confused and watered down shell of the original. The Reclaimed version has helped but ultimately has just made the library stick out as even more of a sore thumb, with effectively 2 differrent stories trying to be told in the same room.

• Love
Reactions: Haz
Speaking of the Library - Anyone else noticed the portait to be fainter recently? I found she was a lot harder to see on Sunday.

Some updates from today,
Oil lamps in chapel now flicker when the ride is stationary too as well as the ride sequence, the lights that light up the agents in the library is longer but causes the lightning sound effect to be set off late, queue was around 30 minutes from the archway to getting on.

yes the IMR jumpsuits and hats are the original ones, I'm guessing that the cloth roof is removable and that's how they access them

Sorry for a dumb question but can't find an answer - what actually happens on this attraction? Is it a ride? Does it spin? I can't go on spinning rides, or anything which has the effect of spinning, due to a medical condition so never been on this!

Sorry for a dumb question but can't find an answer - what actually happens on this attraction? Is it a ride? Does it spin? I can't go on spinning rides, or anything which has the effect of spinning, due to a medical condition so never been on this!
It is a Vekoma Mad House.
You start off in a pre show and then walk through a series of rooms. In the rooms there are some scary elements as the story plays out.
The final room after these is the chapel chamber.

The chapel chamber is more of an illusion. The room spins around you and your seat will slightly move backwards and forwards. It gives the illusion that the room is spinning.

It doesn't spin per say, but the moving room may disorientate your medical condition.

Its like Hex at Alton Towers, if you've ever done that?

Back