The Wave (formerly known as Shockwave)

Was popping in Friday for a few hours to try it out since me and wife are both off work but might just go towers instead.
Would be a shame as our passes run out in 11 days and can’t justify purchasing until the new area is finished out etc , probably be a next year purchase
I would wait to the Black Friday sale as we got 20% off the price compared to 10% if I just renewed

That's missing the entire season though, its a bit of a gamble if they didn't do the same discount next year.
They did say it could be a next year purchase instead. This could be the last year my daughter has an annual pass as she now prefers Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. I have said as soon as my youngest hits 1.2m thinking of getting a Alton Towers annual pass as before the kids were born I use to only go to Drayton once a year and that was for the fireworks event.

Anyway getting back on topic does anyone know if the Wave is open again?

Just adding on to this, Victoria Lynn was in the operation booth with a checkboard.
Was she working out how much she should have authorised a second train?

Strange situation as we reached the top in that you could bump yourself by joining the front row queue.

The speeding through of easy access / fast pass was noticeable, when cycles are only taking 7 or 8 from the queue....

The operatives are working flat out and there isn't much wasted time. I'd take the front row queuing and make it single rider for now. There are still rides leaving with empty seats and its criminal when the back row is out of action.

We waited around an hour and fifteen minutes to ride earlier today with 30 minutes at least being the bottom floor.

They really do need a second train and to get that back row up and running - it's really holding them back with this.

As we went with my nephew his got a disabled card so used the exit ramp with the fast pass guests. So it’s got 6 rows and 1 not currently in use so that leaves 20 guests then the front went to the front row queue with the Easy Access/fast pass queue getting the back to rows (8 seats) so only leaves 8 guests from the standby per train atm

We waited around an hour and fifteen minutes to ride earlier today with 30 minutes at least being the bottom floor.

They really do need a second train and to get that back row up and running - it's really holding them back with this.
Not sure how much the second train will help considering how long dispatches take due to the restraint system - first train will be stuck in the break run for 10-15 mins.

It’s a shame as, after riding it yesterday, it’s so so good and easily beats the likes of Th13teen, Spinball etc for thrills at this height but it’s a non starter at only 120 riders per hour

The problem is the operation process. Now Front row and the next 2 no problems but the fast pass and Disabled side can’t be loaded on to all the guests have collected there stuff and cleared the exit platform. Then after everyone was on the train they pushed the seat down to the top level then told every guest not to touch. Then they went to the front again and clicked every seat into the right slot (think they did 1 wrong and had to reset them all so they had to start at the front again) Every time they clicked every seat they looked underneath at something then went to there safety zones and pushed a button so the op could send the train.

Not sure how much the second train will help considering how long dispatches take due to the restraint system
i was thinking much the same, but yesterday it would have meant a lot even if just for appearances sake.

Victoria Lynn and leaders need to consider about how they can do things differently here. Maybe if they consider that they are taking hundreds of guests out of the possibility of buying food and drink they may see there is economy in doubling the staff in the loading process.

Can they have an op or two per row. Can they have folks putting their stuff in boxes which are stored and stowed rather than the whole ---ooh can you get off and store your hat/glasses/scarf - thing every single time. Can you have someone working the queue so that you aren't calling down the line for "a two" and them scrubbing through from by the door to get on.

Marginal gains - but when you are running small numbers then its a lot. If for instance you are only having 19 rather than 20 on a train you are reducing capacity by 5%.

Also, if you are going for the family market and brag about you are increasing access to the ride by making it 1,2m think about how many of those extra riders can last two hours accessing drink without being able to access the toilet.

Managed to go on the Wave for the first time Saturday.

On the plus side, you wouldn't know it's a 30 year old coaster with the new train, once you're at the top of the lift hill it's very smooth and I like the new seats, still a little disappointed the stand up element has gone as I actually liked that, but the lap bars make it different.

Unfortunately, it was slow to load, and the very back row was not being used.

It's just so inefficient loading, they need to have 2 trains again so they can dispatch one and load the other, I really think they dropped the ball only going with one.

The other glaring issue is the state of the track, lovely bright yellow train on a manky, rusting blue mess. It's so overdue a repaint it's embarrassing.

Back