Gold Rush (New for 2024)

The accent is not the greatest "American" accent. The man sounds English, like he is trying (and failing) to put on an American accent, exactly how it is probably. That's no reflection on the ride itself though.

Also their X account claims it has the “UK's First backward launch into outdoor gravity track". Whatever that means. Mandrills Mayhem and Revolution both feature backwards outdoor launches, into track where gravity powers the ride.

Clearly they used the word 'outdoors' to exclude Thirteen which also features a backwards launch, but indoors.

They should just embrace the ride for what it is, have confidence that they can build a product that sells well. Rather than desperately scrambling for extremely weak USP's that are not even unique anyway. A weak USP is worse than no USP as it just screams desperation. I feel they do more harm than good. Merlin learnt this.

Merlin did the same for decades and for decades we got crap rides. The parks desperately scrambled for USP's and focused on them above everything else. Since dropping the chase for USP's, the quality of the attractions have been notably better, by a long mile. I feel the smaller parks could learn a thing or two here. If they insist on using a USP, one, make sure it is actually unique (this one isn't). Two, make sure it is a strong one.

When Wickerman launched they tried throwing the weak, but stronger than this USP of the world's first coaster dedicated to wood and fire. It was very quickly dropped as it was weak and not unique.

In any case. I'm excited for this, so is my son! Not because of the USP, but for the ride being what it is on it's own merits. The park haven't had a coaster in such a long time and this looks great for family's. They should push those two facts harder than they push this USP. In fairness, I am sure this is a learning curve for people at the park too. They haven't had such a major ride in a long time, no doubt learning along the way. Nothing wrong with that.

I have said a few negatives about the park recently, but they are so important, just as important as the good things. If you blindly tell a park everything is great all the time, how do you expect them to improve and grow based on feedback?

This overall is a great thing for the park and should be celebrated. We are without a doubt in very exciting times for Drayton Manor Resort. It kind of makes me want to quit my corporate management job and get a job with the park. One thing that is so great for any themepark is having a strong team of people who are genuinely excited and passionate about the place, no doubt the team at Drayton are just that. I feel like I am missing out and perhaps have alot to offer as I sit at my desk in a normal corporate office.

Last edited:
I wonder cause all them other coasters listed above have a 1.2m height restriction. Drayton claiming it’s the only coaster that features all them elements on a 1m height restriction.
Now my son would be happy it been a 1m height requirement but is it gonna be more thrilling than Accelerator.

I wonder cause all them other coasters listed above have a 1.2m height restriction. Drayton claiming it’s the only coaster that features all them elements on a 1m height restriction.
Now my son would be happy it been a 1m height requirement but is it gonna be more thrilling than Accelerator.
I feel like it will be more thrilling than Accelerator personally (but then again I also love accelerator)

The webpage now sells it as the UK's longest family coaster, which I presume is by counting all the forwards and backwards sections, but definitely a stronger USP, exciting to see there being a strong story for the ride, and its nice to see some marketing and general acknowledgement of its existence.

Easier said than done with mechanical and electrical machines. Hyperia and its issues are nothing new. It's normal and has been since long before my time.
Actually, Hyperia’s issues are very new. Being Mack’s largest and tallest coaster ever and having that insanely steep drop, the greased polymer under the lift chain was wearing very quickly at the very end as the train was getting yanked down the drop too fast.

With Intamin being a remarkably ‘unreliable’ manufacturer I would have hoped they will have ironed out some of their issues, especially for a coaster this small for them. Although with Intamin LSMs and a backwards section you never know

Actually, Hyperia’s issues are very new. Being Mack’s largest and tallest coaster ever and having that insanely steep drop, the greased polymer under the lift chain was wearing very quickly at the very end as the train was getting yanked down the drop too fast.

With Intamin being a remarkably ‘unreliable’ manufacturer I would have hoped they will have ironed out some of their issues, especially for a coaster this small for them. Although with Intamin LSMs and a backwards section you never know

The point I was making was new rides almost always have teething issues. Regardless of the actual cause. They almost all experience increased unreliability at the start of their life.

This ride does not feature LSM's the launch is a drive tire launch as can be seen from the construction photos before the launch building was built. The ride is very similar to other family coasters and multi dimension coasters that Intamin have produced so I would not be too worried about major issues, as for them it will be a pretty standard project.

They've just launched a new bogof offer on tickets until 21st July - Could this lead to the opening date being the 22nd just in time for half term?

Some great themed signage going up

Attachments

• ADCA27F3-A911-4851-8B2B-5B6A0DE2080C.jpeg
    ADCA27F3-A911-4851-8B2B-5B6A0DE2080C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • A71B9245-0374-45FA-B5DA-E8829FA2FE5D.jpeg
    A71B9245-0374-45FA-B5DA-E8829FA2FE5D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 87
  • E50DB6F6-385A-4A85-A080-CD540EA55F53.jpeg
    E50DB6F6-385A-4A85-A080-CD540EA55F53.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
Good to see that toilets back open ✓ especially as the next closest are by the zoo

A little shop is a nice idea - hope it gets a good themed look (granted, I thought they'd put a shop in the saloon/hotel as that's a big space and the haunting leaves into it (but that looks like it'll be a 2025 development if I had to guess)

Update from today
IMG_4312.jpeg
IMG_4309.jpeg
IMG_4308.jpeg
IMG_4307.jpeg
IMG_4304.jpeg
IMG_4301.jpeg
IMG_4300.jpeg
IMG_4299.jpeg
IMG_4298.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg
IMG_4295.jpeg
IMG_4293.jpeg
IMG_4315.jpeg

I was told the final bit will lift into place at the top of the station building in the next 2 weeks.
Also in the queue been told u will enter a gold mine.
Also lighting and speakers are currently been installed around the site.
They currently working on the indoor launch area.

Out of all the signage they've done for the ride, personally I'm most impressed with the Undertaker signage. It looks hand painted which I love and it's design is very reminiscent of Golding Attractions/Space Leisures style.

Good to see that toilets back open ✓ especially as the next closest are by the zoo

A little shop is a nice idea - hope it gets a good themed look (granted, I thought they'd put a shop in the saloon/hotel as that's a big space and the haunting leaves into it (but that looks like it'll be a 2025 development if I had to guess)
Feel like that mini one will be temporary, and next year that will be used a photo stall. And then we could have two new stuff in the saloon/hotel area, like a Smokehouse Western themed Restaurant and a Big Gift Shop?

Back