Pirate Adventure

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I certainly wouldn’t say Drayton Manor is a competitor of one of the biggest parks in the country. I think they probably compete with the likes of Paulton’s Park. However, I think considering Drayton are getting constant investment each year, in a few years they may be competing with bigger parks.
I agree , whilst Alton has begun catering for families a little better they are still move of a thrill target audience where as Drayton are purely family targeted.

It would be ironic if Pirate Adventure returns next year with a Wild West theme. Pirate Adventure was based on Pirates Of The Caribbean at the Disney Theme Parks. The ride most similar to Pirates Adventure is the Florida version of Pirates Of The Caribbean. This version of the classic Disney ride was or not built. Originally Disneyworld in Florida was going to have a boat ride themed to the Wild West instead of Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Personally I’d support Pirate Adventure being transformed to a Wild West theme. I think reopening one of Drayton’s signature Dark Rides would be beneficial. If the new area is themed to the Wild West I wonder if all the rides from Acelerator to Pirate Adventure will be rethemed. It’ll be interesting to see how The Haunting and and The Flying Dutchman are incorporated into a possible Wild West area. I suppose The Haunting wouldn’t be too hard to retheme. After all Disneyland Paris have Phantom Manor,a horror themed ride,in Frontier Land.

What do you all think the likelihood of the new (Wild West?) Land consuming Pirates Cove is? Personally I still think the chances of Pirates Cove consuming the Wild West area is more likely. My reasoning is that Pirates Cove has more rides to retheme than the Wild West area.

Am I correct in thinking that Pirates Cove and the Wild West area are the only parts of Drayton that The Looping Group haven’t changed. Could someone please tell me what the Wild West area is actually called?

I agree , whilst Alton has begun catering for families a little better they are still move of a thrill target audience where as Drayton are purely family targeted.
Charliie my opinion differs from yours. I wouldn’t class Shockwave as a Family Ride,furthermore from what we know next years new Rollercoaster sounds like a thrill ride.

It would be ironic if Pirate Adventure returns next year with a Wild West theme. Pirate Adventure was based on Pirates Of The Caribbean at the Disney Theme Parks. The ride most similar to Pirates Adventure is the Florida version of Pirates Of The Caribbean. This version of the classic Disney ride was or not built. Originally Disneyworld in Florida was going to have a boat ride themed to the Wild West instead of Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Personally I’d support Pirate Adventure being transformed to a Wild West theme. I think reopening one of Drayton’s signature Dark Rides would be beneficial. If the new area is themed to the Wild West I wonder if all the rides from Acelerator to Pirate Adventure will be rethemed. It’ll be interesting to see how The Haunting and and The Flying Dutchman are incorporated into a possible Wild West area. I suppose The Haunting wouldn’t be too hard to retheme. After all Disneyland Paris have Phantom Manor,a horror themed ride,in Frontier Land.

What do you all think the likelihood of the new (Wild West?) Land consuming Pirates Cove is? Personally I still think the chances of Pirates Cove consuming the Wild West area is more likely. My reasoning is that Pirates Cove has more rides to retheme than the Wild West area.

Am I correct in thinking that Pirates Cove and the Wild West area are the only parts of Drayton that The Looping Group haven’t changed. Could someone please tell me what the Wild West area is actually called?
Pirates adventure won't ever ever come back the buildings broke and other things share the building if anything there will be a pirate cove shop

Charliie my opinion differs from yours. I wouldn’t class Shockwave as a Family Ride,furthermore from what we know next years new Rollercoaster sounds like a thrill ride.
Shockwave isn't a family ride. I think Charlie meant that Drayton now target a family audience however they used to target thrill as well which led to the installation of Shockwave (thrill) and Splash Canyon (family).

Also, we know the new rollercoaster will be a family lift and launch, so how is that thrill when it's literally called a family ride?

Shockwave was built in a time when the old owners were heading in a more thrill direction such as apocalypse, pandemonium and g force etc. the park have already announced they are family / family thrill. Drayton knows it can’t compete with the thrill mark which is why we have seen removal of thrill rides from the park Amungst a selection of other reasons. By removing these rides , it creates a more family oriented market. This is getting off topic , however I’d be very surprised should pirates return next year though I don’t believe this will be the case. Personally I don’t think the new area will consume pirates cove. I believe these will still remain as too separate areas due to the distance between them. They can easily sort out the top end of the park to create a well themed dynamic and then I think we will see the middle section of the park tackled once they have completed the zoo changes.

Shockwave isn't a family ride. I think Charlie meant that Drayton now target a family audience however they used to target thrill as well which led to the installation of Shockwave (thrill) and Splash Canyon (family).

Also, we know the new rollercoaster will be a family lift and launch, so how is that thrill when it's literally called a family ride?
Thankyou :) that was my point.

P.A will not return as part of the new rollercoaster development / area developments - they are too far away from eachother.

There is no defined name for the "wild west" area of the park however I believe that top side was once referred to as Action Park (I don't recall and this is off topic) [EDIT; Aerial park. I put the wrong one down!]

Please refrain from tagging the other members in your posts as they have already expressed their thoughts.

If the ride returns, will remain to be seen however I do not believe it will for the near future.
Current building works are more maintenance to ensure the building does not collapse or endure damage.

Last edited:
I believe that top side was once referred to as Action Park (I don't recall and this is off topic)
I know you said this is off topic (I won’t post about this again) but wasn’t Action Park the area where Adventure Cove is now?

The 5 ride areas were Action park, Fisherman's wharf, Children’s corner, Pirate Cove and Aerial park.
Aerial park was the top end of the park.

And prior to Stormforce 10, Fisherman's Wharf was known as Cowboy Town (for a few years).

I remember when Pirate Adventure opened (before they themed the surrounding area to Pirate Cove). I went in August 1990 that year, after going at least once a year since 1983. It was like this huge stand alone building appeared out of nowhere and took up most of the park. It was like nothing else in the UK and bigger than anything at Alton Towers. It looked huge from the Jungle Cruise. Such a shame it was not continually updated and cared for. It is/was Drayton Manor for me.

And prior to Stormforce 10, Fisherman's Wharf was known as Cowboy Town (for a few years).

I remember when Pirate Adventure opened (before they themed the surrounding area to Pirate Cove). I went in August 1990 that year, after going at least once a year since 1983. It was like this huge stand alone building appeared out of nowhere and took up most of the park. It was like nothing else in the UK and bigger than anything at Alton Towers. It looked huge from the Jungle Cruise. Such a shame it was not continually updated and cared for. It is/was Drayton Manor for me.
Ad.E.Pt hopefully The Looping Group see sense and reopen Pirate Adventure.

I think after the 2024 coaster/Wild West area, the Pirate Advenure Building/Excalibur Lake will be the next area for development.

• Knock down the PA building
• Fill-in some of the man-made Ex. Lake
• New Vekoma Family Invert partially over the remaining lake
• Mack Indoor Dark Ride (smaller blueprint than that of PA, but still using the building to partition the area from TL)
• Couple of family flats (Zamperla/Intamin)

Themed to an Enchanted Forest? Dinosaur themed? I don’t see the Pirate theme returning with Adventure Cove & Vikings - too similar in my opinion

Back